Christopher has once again returned to Lytherus, our sister site covering all things fantasy, scifi, and horror, with a new blog post! This time, the author takes a look at what makes a story interesting, focusing on the art of using twists to tell a good tale. The post is full of useful information for aspiring writers and curious readers!
Utah resident? Don’t miss your chance to meet Christopher Paolini, Brandon Mull, and Richard Paul Evans at the launch event for Mull’s latest Beyonders novel, Beyonders: Chasing the Prophecy. Christopher will be traveling in to participate in the event, which will include a signing by all attending authors, as well as skits and more! The event takes place at Cottonwood High School on March 15th at 6:30pm.
For more information on the event, visit Brandon Mull’s tour page on his official website!
Not going to be able to make it to the event/signing? Christopher Paolini is currently holding an online Inheritance cycle book signing, allowing fans the chance to get signed copies of your favorite Inheritance books! Check out the signing today!
We’re extremely excited to launch a new event for Inheritance fans: an online Inheritance cycle book signing! With the Inheritance cycle coming to a close and Christopher Paolini’s whirlwind international book tours to promote Inheritance and the Inheritance Deluxe Edition over, we wanted to find a way to reach the thousands of fans who were unable to see Christopher on tour. We’re making that happen today!
We have partnered with a book store in Montana, where Christopher lives, and are now selling signed copies of all of Christopher’s books (boxed sets, single books, Eragon’s Guide to Alagaesia, and Deluxe Editions!). The first 500 orders through the book signing will have the opportunity for their books to be personalized by Christopher!
Christopher Paolini is hand-signing every order (no stamps, book plates, etc.), which will be shipped directly to your front door once your order has been fulfilled! The book signing does not yet have an end date, but don’t wait — it won’t last forever!
Christopher Paolini took to Twitter to announce that he’s started work on his contribution to what will become the 10th anniversary edition of Eragon! Eragon was first published by Random House Children’s Books in 2003 after the rights were purchased from the Paolini family, retiring their self-published edition.
Christopher shared that six illustrations in total will be included in the 10th anniversary edition, each illustrated by a different artist. Christopher has yet to announce the other six artists and what they’ll be illustrating, but he has shared what he’s working on:
Yesterday started work on a drawing for the 10th anniversary edition of Eragon coming out this year — a drawing of Brom!
— Christopher Paolini (@InheritanceCP) February 18, 2013
I’m drawing him sitting by the bonfire in Carvahall, telling the story of the Dragon Riders. So far I think it’s turning out really well.
— Christopher Paolini (@InheritanceCP) February 18, 2013
Random House, publisher of the Inheritance cycle, has yet to release any details on when this book will be made available and what its cost will be. Christopher has stated that the book is slated for a release “later this year”. We’ll keep you updated as soon as we learn more!
Our good friend from the Inheritance Cycle Book Club podcast and Lytherus managing editor Lauren Zurchin is doing something awesome: photographing fourteen of the world’s most famous fantasy authors in custom costumes she’s creating, and putting the photos together into a fantasy calendar for charity. And, you guessed it, one of the authors for the project is Christopher Paolini himself!
This project is ambitious, and since it won’t come cheap to travel the country to shoot these twelve photos (not to mention making custom costumes and props for each and every photo), Lauren has taken to Kickstarter to raise the funds to make her idea a reality. Every author involved in the project has limited edition exclusive items up for grabs, prizes that are only offered this one time and never again. You can score a limited edition print of Christopher’s photo from the calendar, signed by the author himself, signed wall posters, a limited “personalized pack” from Christopher, which includes an autographed calendar and photo print — personalized to you, and other goodies. There’s even a deluxe prize which includes a Skype chat with Christopher!
The other authors involved are Brandon Mull, Gregory Maguire, Brandon Sanderson, Tad Williams, Patrick Rothfuss, Cassandra Clare, Holly Black, Lauren Kate, Lauren Oliver, Maggie Stiefvater, Gail Carriger, Tessa Gratton, and Brenna Yovanoff. As you can see, it’s quite the lineup of authors, and ALL of them are offering prizes. You can even score a calendar autographed by all 14 authors!
Once the calendar is made, proceeds from the sale of the calendars are going to two different charities (which is why, if you’re wondering, you can’t buy just a plain calendar on the Kickstarter). Head on over to Lauren’s blog, where she explains it all in more detail.
So, help Lauren and these authors make this project a reality by supporting her Kickstarter — and snag some awesome personalized and autographed Paolini loot in the process.
Through January 30th, the official Shur’tugal store — which carries Shurtugal.com and Inheritance cycle merchandise — has free shipping on all orders! We’ve also just added three new shirt designs: Team Saphira, Team Thorn, and Team Firnen! To redeem your free shipping, be sure to use the coupon code FREELOVE at check-out! Remember, this coupon is only good through January 30th, so act fast!
*Remember, you can choose the color of your t-shirt when checking out! Love the design but not a fan of the t-shirt color? That’s an easy fix for you!
Update: We’ve updated the post to reflect Spreadshirt’s (our printer/distributor) extension of the coupon. This free shipping coupon now expires on January 30th!
Christopher Paolini will be the featured author on Lytherus, Shur’tugal’s sister site for everything fantasy, science fiction, and horror, for the next week! The author will be joining the staff of Lytherus for a full line-up of new content, including a brand new interview, an exclusive guest post written by Christopher, two sets of giveaways, and more!
Here’s a full breakdown of Christopher’s events:
- Monday (January 21st): Introduction to the Christopher Paolini Featured Author Week
- Tuesday (January 22nd): Review of the Inheritance Deluxe Edition and a look at what the future holds, including a fifth Inheritance book
- Wednesday (January 23rd): First giveaway, with five autographed copies of the Deluxe Edition of Inheritance up for grabs!
- Thursday (January 24th): An exclusive and lengthy interview with Christopher Paolini
- Friday (January 25th): A guest post written by Christopher Paolini
- Saturday (January 26th): Second giveaway, with five autographed copies of the paperback version of Inheritance up for grabs!
Update: Christopher’s week on Lytherus has come to an end! Be sure to view all of the great featured week content by clicking on the links above. Entries for the final giveaway close on January 29th, so be sure to get your entries in! Be sure to check out Lytherus for more from Christopher, as well as all of the latest news, reviews, and commentary within the worlds of fantasy and scifi!
Shur’tugal has officially moved to a new server, leaving the old issues behind, and that “down time” allowed us to explore all of the feedback left by visitors on our previous post, Twitter page, and Facebook page! We asked our visitors what they would like to see from Shur’tugal going forward and compiled the feedback into two categories: what we can commit to, and what we’re interested in exploring!
What we can confirm we’ll be doing in the future:
- Interviews! We’ve been sitting on a few for too long, and we’re going to be sharing them very soon.
- Our first interview will come during Christopher Paolini’s upcoming “featured author” week on Lytherus! It’s a full length interview… and it will be accompanied by an exclusive guest post by Christopher himself!
- Our second interview will come during Rachel Hartman’s (SERAPHINA) “featured author” week on Lytherus! Christopher and Rachel sat down for a joint interview with the Lytherus team.
- More social media interaction! We have a fantastic community built on our official Facebook and Twitter accounts, and we want to better engage our followers. We’ll be hosting activities, media, and giveaways on both accounts going forward.
- Inheritance (Book 4) podcast! Our fan-favorite book club podcast will return for a final run, this time featuring a special guest for every episode: Christopher Paolini!
- Exploration of Book 5! Christopher has stated that he does intend to some day write a fifth book in the series (which will be a stand-alone book), but it may be a while before that arrives! We’ll explore all of the potential story lines, confirmed facts, and “rumors” surrounding this highly anticipated fifth book.
- Giveaways! Who doesn’t like free things? We’ve got a bunch of signed copies of Inheritance and the Inheritance Deluxe Edition to give away!
- Merchandise! We’ve already got a huge range of Inheritance clothing, which is the only Inheritance clothing you can buy on the internet! We’ll be adding more in the coming weeks.
- Minecraft Alagaesia! A great team of individuals has pulled together to bring Alagaesia to life in the hugely-popular world-building game, Minecraft. With the support of Shur’tugal and Christopher, this team will continue to build away… and we’ll post lots of interesting photos, highlights, and more here on Shur’tugal!
What we are interested in doing, but can’t yet confirm:
- Even more interviews! Christopher has always been a good sport about sitting down for interviews and we’d like to continue this by featuring an interview or Q&A with the author once every few months.
- Fan art highlights! Many talented artists have illustrated the world we’ve come to love, and we’d love to share their work with you!
- Content editorials! We’ll be opening editorials up to our visitors. If you’re interested in blogging or writing, we’d love to share a piece of your work exploring a theory or topic within the world of Alagaesia.
This is just the tip of the iceberg for what we hope to accomplish with Shur’tugal in the future. Inheritance as a series may be over, but Christopher’s career as a writer sure isn’t. We’ll follow the author as he expands into new projects in the future and hope that you’ll stick with us for the ride.
In the mean time, you can visit Lytherus.com — our sister site covering all things fantasy, scifi, and horror — for news and information on all of your favorite books, movies, video games, TV shows, and more!
It’s been quite a while since we had a day where issues did not hit the website — downtime, Google blocks, and more. These have been the result of the same persistent attack on Shur’tugal and its networks since early fall, and we’re happy to say that we’ve resolved the issue for good. We’ve moved the sites to a new home, where they’re more protected against outside attacks. This will enable us to resume doing our job: building and maintaining the best Inheritance cycle and Christopher Paolini-based community on the internet.
We have some great plans for the site’s future, but before anything is set in stone, we want to ask for your input. What would you like to see from Shur’tugal in the future? What kind of content — articles, interviews, fan art features, opinion editorials, etc.? Share your ideas in the comments and we’ll see what we can do about adding the best ideas to our line-up!
For now, welcome back and thanks for sticking with us!
Today marks Christopher Paolini’s 29th birthday! The author, currently traveling through Italy following a brief promotional tour for the release of the Inheritance Deluxe Edition, has been hard at work on the Inheritance cycle since the age of fifteen — fourteen years ago! While Christopher’s time with the four books making up the Inheritance cycle may be over, the author has expressed that he is hard at work on new novels set outside of the world of Alagaësia… and has even laid the groundwork for future novels set within Alagaësia (some hints at which can be found throughout the four books).
You can follow Christopher, an active Twitter-er, and wish him a happy birthday at his official Twitter account: @InheritanceCP. On behalf of the Shur’tugal crew and all of our visitors, we wish Christopher the happiest of birthdays! (And enjoy this beautiful fan-created Eragon-inspired birthday cake!)