BOOK 4 – LOOSE ENDS
Below you’ll find Shurtugal.com’s Book 4 Loose Ends guide, a comprehensive list of loose ends left by Eragon, Eldest, and Brisingr. Please remember that while this list represents the loose plot ends from the previous books, it does not necessarily guarantee those loose ends to be explained by the end of Book 4. As always, some loose ends are better left to the imagination of the readers!
- When using the knuckle bones to predict Eragon’s future, Angela foretold that Eragon will have an ‘epic romance,’ which has yet to happen.
- Eragon’s departure from Alagaësia. There is some very heavy speculation that Eragon’s dream after the Ra’zac burned down his house was actually Eragon seeing into the future when Eragon was leaving Alagaësia forever. If that is true, then he is leaving with a female, with two dragon’s flying above him and with someone left behind on the shore. Many believe that the female is Arya and the male is Eragon.
- Eragon’s true name is said to be revealed soon.
- Learn more about Saphira’s parents. Who exactly are they and what happened to them? Could it be possible that Saphira, Thorn and the last – green – dragon are actually related?
- Saphira will, at some point, have to mate with another dragon if she wished to save the almost extinct race.
Murtagh, Thorn and Brotherhood
- At the end of Eldest, Murtagh and Eragon go through some interesting dialogue. It seems that Murtagh has turned against Eragon. At the end of Brisingr Murtagh kills Oromis. Is Murtagh truly on Galbatorix’s side?
- In Brisingr Eragon discovered that people’s true names can change. Will Murtagh be able to change his true name an by doing so free himself from Galbatorix’s clutch?
- Christopher Paolini also discussed the possible ways to break an oath. This could possibly lead to Murtagh’s release from Galbatorix’s power (assuming Murtagh is serving Galbatorix against his will).
- How severe is Thorn’s injury that he sustained during his fight with Glaedr? Will Murtagh be able to completely heal the injury? If not, what effect will this have on his ability to fight?
The New Dragon and Their Rider, Wild Dragons
- We know that there will be a new dragon rider and with him or her, a green dragon. Popular theories suggest it could be one of the main characters from the first two books. It is possible, however, that the new rider could be someone unknown or someone we’ve only briefly encountered.
- In Eldest, Eragon happened upon fragments of a green dragon egg. This is a possible hint that the third dragon has already hatched, however, it could just be a dragon egg of old, long since hatched and killed.
- The allegiance and race of the Rider and its dragon are likely to play a key role in the outcome of the war against Galbatorix. If another Rider joined the ranks of the Empire, Eragon and Saphira would be outnumbered to an impossible point. If the dragon hatched to a rider on the side of the Varden, Elves, and Surda, the tides would turn and the battle field would be evened.
- Popular theories point to Arya being the green dragon Rider. The color of green is used to describe Arya in many ways, including the magic she wields. We know that a Rider’s magic is identical to the color of their dragon.
- Are there any wild dragons left? If wild dragons were discovered, it could end up changing the fate of many characters. Could this be what poached half of Galbatorix’s army in the Spine?
Galbatorix and Shruikan
- It is about time we actually met these guys. We’ve heard so much about them and in Brisingr Galbatorix’s voice was heard when Murtagh killed Oromis and Glaedr, but they have not yet been seen.
- Who is the original Rider of Shruikan? Does Shruikan truly feel bonded to Galbatorix? Could this artificial bond become problematic for Galbatorix in the future? We haven’t learned much about the relationship between Galbatorix and Shruikan. It is unknown whether it is negative, positive, or servitude-like.
- It is heavily speculated that Shruikan will flee from Galbatorix’s side and Galbatorix will ride a Lethrblaka instead. Due to the fact that Shruikan’s original rider wasn’t Galbatorix, he may not feel bonded to him. If he tries to escape, Galbatorix may have no choice but to ride a Lethrblaka. Impenetrable by all but magic, it may prove to make a worthy match against a dragon. However, the existence of Lethrblaka is speculative as in Brisingr the last two know Lethrblaka are killed, along with the last two known Ra’zac, by Saphira, Roran and Eragon. Are there any left?
- A recent interview with Christopher Paolini said that Galbatroix uses “tricks” to control Shruikan and that they don’t share the traditional bond. What tricks did he use? Can these tricks be un-done?
- The reason Galbatorix lost half of his army in the Spine. Dangerous and lethal, not many dare venture into the Spine. The eerie place proved to be a match against Galbatorix’s own troops; causing a great upset. Why did this happen, and what exactly is so strange about the Spine?
- In Eldest, Murtagh mentions Galbatorix’s great plans for Algaesia, and that they actually seem civil and good. What exactly are Galbatorix’s allegedly good plans, and why do they involve so much brutal slaughter?
Brom and His Secrets
- What is the true name of the ancient language? This is speculated to be the seven words that Brom told Eragon as he was dying. Is this the true name that Galbatorix is searching for (that the Ra’zac mentioned in Brisingr)? Is this the name that the old hermit Tenga mentioned and is looking for?
- Brom’s history and many secrets. We don’t know much about Brom’s past, and he died much too early for him to reveal anymore of what we do not know. It is speculated that some secret in this nature might be contained in the seven words he said before dying.
- Who the only other people who could beat Brom were. They obviously had to have more power and strength, but how did they get it?
- What use will the seven words Brom told Saphira be to Eragon in the rest of the series? When will these come in to play?
Roran, Katrina, and the People of Carvahall
- What is the fate of the people of Carvahall? Far from their homes, in the midst of a battle of two great forces, how will these small-town people be able to fit in? Will they be an asset or a burden?
- What will happen about Elaine’s pregnancy? She has been ill for some time. Will she finally have the baby? Will either of them die?
- How will Katrina cope with her pregnancy? Will she leave Roran or will the battle be over in time?
- Will the villagers ever be able to return to Carvahall? If not, where will they live if the Varden win the battle?
- Will Birgit ever exact her revenge on Roran for her husband’s death. What form will this revenge take or will she be able to forgive him for all he has sacrificed for the villagers?
Races, Places, and Beasts
- Will we learn more about the mysterious Grey Folk in the last book?
- The strange beasts of Vroengard – Vroengard is a possible place for where the Vault of Souls is located, and if it is there, it would explain the strange beasts located at Vroengard. Since the Vault of Souls is a ‘strange’ place with ‘strange’ beasts. The strange beasts could possibly be the Souls.
- The Rock of Kuthian: what is it and where is it located? What significance will it have for Eragon?
- Allegiance with the Urgal clans, and the possibility of visiting an Urgal city. “You are always welcome in our halls” – Garzhvog. Will Eragon go to see the Urgals in their native environment?
- Truths about werecats and their mysterious abilities. Right now, the only werecats we know about are Maud and Solembum. Are there more out there? What is the extent of their abilities if there are?
- What lies beyond the borders of Alagaësia? Will Angela’s prophecy of Eragon never again returning to Alagaësia come true?
- The fate of Nasuada, possible love interest for Murtagh. If she does in fact love him, to what extent would her love for him stretch?
- Nasuada’s mother – Who is she?
- The fate of Elva. Ever since Eragon blessed the girl with the honour of being a shield, and then edited the curse, many have wondered what exactly would happen to the poor girl? It is obvious that Elva has so far played an important role in protecting the Varden and its leaders.
- What is the extent of her power? What does she wish to do with it?
- Does Selena’s fortune telling have a place in the next books? Will more be said about her fortune, or was it hers at all?
- Where did Selena go after she had Eragon? Did she truly die? And if so, what was her cause of death?
- Where are Galbatorix’s Eldunarí? The Eldunarí appear to be Galbatorix’s main source of strength. Is this the key to Galbatorix’s downfall?
- Are there any more Eldunarí. If so, where are they?
- What use will Glaedr’s Eldunarí be to Eragon? Will he use it for physical or mental strength? Will Glaedr be able to recover from the shock of his rider’s death in time to give Eragon crucial information that will aid him in his fight against Galbatorix?
- Has Thorn given his heart of hearts to Galbatorix? If not, will he be forced to give it to him in Book 4?
- Where is Shruikan’s Eldunarí?
- Where is Brom’s Saphira’s Eldunarí? Has it been taken be Galbatorix, lost, destroyed or hidden somewhere by Brom, for Eragon’s use?
- Who are the teenage girl and women that Angela told the fortune of in Brisingr? Angela said in Eragon that she only tells the fortune of those Solembum speaks to. Why did Solembum speak to them? Why were they unwilling to tell their names to Eragon?
- If Galbatorix is successfully overthrown, who will become King of Alagaësia?